Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sadly, We Didn't Try the Stickum

Beer #172 DoppelSticke / Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei, Düsseldorf, Germany

Today was spent mentally preparing myself for disappointment.  I find it's easier to deal with stomach punches when you're expecting them from a mile away.  Meh.

The beer for today is the Doppelsticke, from the rather unpronounceable Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei in Germany.  It's a dark chocolate color in the glass with a thin off white head, and your nose picks up the scent of dark fruits and molasses.  Flavors such as chocolate, bread, and caramel are present along with a strong malt profile.  There's a hop bitterness mixed in to balance out some of the sweeter flavors.  Very well done beer, if I must say so myself.
Doesn't that look good?
Big things are afoot in Düsseldorf, as this brewery is celebrating their 150th anniversary in 2012.  Congrats!  Also, this brewery produces spirits, including Stickum, which appears to be a vodka.  I'm guessing they won't be exporting that one to America, unless Lester Hayes orders up a few crates.

Thing to Think About Today:
Second day in a row I don't have something with a connection to the beer/brewery/town at the top of my mind to close out my post.  Too much work, not enough day dreaming, if you ask my opinion.

Okay, just because it's a lot of fun, let's have the Old Crow Medicine Show close out the day with Wagon Wheel.  I've always associated this song with road trips and the south - maybe thinking about road trips will spark some imagination for tomorrow.  And to all, a good night.

"I made it down the coast in seventeen hours / Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers..."

No comments:

Post a Comment