Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Beer #145 Oesterstout / Scheldebrouwerij, Meer, Belgium

Today was a day of beatings, all of them received by me and none delivered by me.  This fine day was capped off with another loss on the hardwood, with our spring league team falling to a laughable 1-9 on the season.  Taking a sweet nine game losing streak into the playoffs next week.  Maybe we'll sneak up on some people. Or.... not.

Tonight's beer came is the Oesterstout from Schedlebrouwerj, which came on draft at Teresa's Next Door.  As many of you know, I'm not a fan of stouts or porters. Really, anything that could be described with the adjectives smoky, coffee, or burnt.  However, Marci had ordered an Oesterstout, and as I like to do, I had a sip just to check things out.  Clearly, it passed the test as I ended up ordering my own.  This "oyster stout" pours a deep dark brown (black?) in the glass with an off-white head, and gives off aromas of stone fruit and roasted malt.  The taste is a mellow balance of roasted malt and cocoa, with a tiny bit of a smoky taste.  There's a salt taste in there somewhere, but it's pretty well hidden.  In all, not a bad stout, and that's high praise coming from someone who doesn't usually drink them. Marci's review on this fine beer can be found HERE, should you be ponderin'.


If you're wondering where the name 'oyster stout' comes from, the wort is passed over oyster shells during the brewing process.  No, this beer does not taste like oysters.  Might be cool if it did, as oysters are freaking delicious.  Buck a shuck night at Teresa's can get ugly when we roll in.  Also, this brewery sports a fun crab shaped logo.  Not much info on their website as to why they have a crab logo, however.

Thing to Think About Today:
I'm about out of steam - playing 40 minutes has me wiped out.  I'll just go ahead and leave this here, as it's been running in my head all day.  Sir Paul McCartney, give the people some Helter Skelter:


Apologies if this video gives you a seizure.  The song is great, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment