Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Highs, Lows, and Bob Barker

Beer #150 St. Cloud Belgian White / World Brews, Novato, CA

Had a really hectic but really satisfying day at work today.  Flipped the switch on a significant project, which is a huge weight off my mind.  Today was 'email from the CEO' good, in fact, so I'm definitely riding a high there.  My enthusiasm for a great day at work has been tempered by a thorough beating on the hardwood, as my spring league team was unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs.  I get that I'm not great at basketball (never was, truthfully), but tonight was a thoroughly awful performance.  Ice Cube famously rapped "get me on the court and I'm trouble/messed around and got a triple double," which references the significant basketball accomplishment where one picks up double figure totals in three statistical categories, such as points, rebounds, and assists.  Once again, I hit a triple double, but it was for missed shots, turnovers, and defensive lapses.  There's always the summer league, I guess.

Sadly, it seems tonight's beer is following the downward end to the day, not the great start to the day.  I'm drinking something called the St. Cloud Belgian White, from some place called World Brews.  Let's start with the review.  This beer is a clear gold with little head in the glass.  And that's where the good points stop, as you get aromas of yeast and fruit, and the taste gives you a bready, soapy, sort of... not much.  It's like a pilsner in some regards (and not good ones), but definitely falls way, what short of what you expect from a Belgian white.  I guess if you really want a beer that lacks flavor or complexity, but you want something more unusual than Miller Lite, this isn't an awful choice.  How's that for a backhanded compliment?  However, if you want a flavorful beer, please direct your attention elsewhere.

BEWARE.

So what's the story on this beer?  Basically World Brews is a contract brewer for people who want a private label beer.  They take advantage of excess capacity in established breweries, and produce "craft" beers for retailers such as Walgreens and Costco.  In this case, St. Cloud is a private label for Whole Foods.  So, good news there - you won't have to worry about seeing this one anywhere else.  Whole Foods has a great beer selection, provided as you're not selecting this beer.  I award you no points, St. Cloud, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Thing to Think About Today:
Let's combine my good day/bad day into one final wrap up.  The good: the greatest game show ever, The Price is Right.  I can't tell you how many hours I spent in college watching this show.  Most of them?  That's probably a safe estimate.  Then, to highlight the bad, let's focus on some not-so-great moments from the show.  I mean, not so great for the contestants - they're awesome moments for us.


Let's hope you all get a chance to spin the big wheel tomorrow, and hit $1.00 on your first spin.  Don't forget to have your pets spayed or neutered.

No comments:

Post a Comment