Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Beer 172: Uerige DoppelSticke

I'm not going to lie. I've been afraid of this beer.


Look at that fancy bottle, complicated cap, ominous label...the crazy font that took seven attempts at spelling before I finally figured it out.

This beer comes to us from Dusseldorf, Germany. Uerige has been brewing this special extra strong beer for the U.S. market since 2005. Per the website, The DoppelSticke has an astonishing 8.5% ABV. Perhaps these Germans need to visit some American breweries. Unless I'm missing something in the translation, I wouldn't call 8.5% astonishing.

It poured a dense deep chocolate brown color with a minimal tan head. The scent is caramel and herbal. I want to use organic and green to describe it, but those aren't good scent adjectives. It drinks quite rich and thick. It's sweet but sharp and hopped. There's more caramel and the flavor of 85% cocoa chocolate. (If you love really dark chocolate, you'll understand that.).

This is an intense beer and I really enjoyed it.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment