Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, April 29, 2012

All In the Game, Yo

Beer #141 Greene King IPA /  Greene King Brewery, Bury St. Edmonds, England

Last night, I spent a fair amount of time furiously deleting pictures and apps from my phone, as I kept getting an error message regarding the phone running out of memory.  I'm past due to get a new phone, but I sort of like this one, even if it drives me crazy at times.  The devil you know, I suppose.

Anyway, I deleted many photos of beers, because I've been posting them here as I go along.  However, I realized I had one awesome photo hiding which needs to be shared with the world.  Behold, Pimp Cat:

Gotta keep my pimp paw strong....

For reasons I can't explain, I love this photo.  I found this cool cat on the corner of James and Spruce Streets last year, and it SCREAMS 1970's to me.  I'm not sure if a child left him out on the sidewalk or if was waiting for a trip to the landfill.  I have rules, and one of them strictly prohibits touching random stuffed animals left on the corner.  Nothing good can come of it, really.  Regardless, in my mind this cat is a boss playa, running the corner and keeping his stable in check.  With a pimp hat and matching bow tie like that, what else would be be doing?

Now that we've taken care of that utter nonsense, let's take care of today's beer.  Went with the Greene King IPA, which was on the hand pumps at Teresa's Next Door.  This beer pours a honeyed amber color in the glass with a lingering white head.  Marci described the appearance as "pretty."  It gives off light aromas of flowers and malt.  It's an easy drinking beer at 3.9% ABV, with a taste of malt and citrus with a light hop bitterness.  Not sure how this is billed as an IPA; it's definitely more of an English Bitter.  Eminently drinkable, this session beer is definitely worth a look.

See?  Pretty!

In business since 1799, this brewery has been growing in recent years by acquiring smaller entities, such as Morland (maker of Old Speckled Hen) and Bellhaven, which Marci reviewed here.  Wondering where the unusual town name of Bury St. Edmonds comes from?  It's where martyred King Edmond, later to become Saint Edmond, was buried in 869.  Allegedly, he was killed by Ivar the Boneless. Awesome nickname there, Ivar.  I'm sure this all made sense in those crazy 800's.  Anyway, now you know.

Thing to Think About Today:
We've covered a lot of ground today.  Cats living on the street, beers, martyrdom, some dude nicknamed "The Boneless."  Let's just unwind with a little cat pimp music, shall we?  Play him off, Keyboard Cat!


I'm kidding.  Real pimp cat music - from the streets.  50, where you at?

No comments:

Post a Comment