Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, April 14, 2012

International Diplomacy: Me & The Maharaja

Beer #126 The Maharaja / Avery Brewing Company, Boulder, CO

What a glorious day!  I won't waste a lot of time talking about it, mostly because I'm trying to enjoy it more than I'm trying to write about it.  I will say that it's nice to sit out on the deck with the laptop and combine the two.

As part of my uber-productive morning, I hit up Whole Foods for lunch.  Couldn't stop in without checking the beer section, and one of my purchases was The Maharaja, an Imperial IPA from Avery Brewing.  Your bit of worldly knowledge for the day: the title Maharaja comes from the Sanskrit words for "Great King."

This beer shows off an amber hue in the glass with a white head that mostly dissipates.  The aroma is heavenly mix of pine and citrus; smells just like what you'd expect from a great IPA.  The taste has just the right amount of hop bitterness, with notes of grapefruit, pine, and a more prevalent than expected malt sweetness.  If you love hops or IPAs, you really must try this beer - it's fairly amazing.  At 10.4% ABV and a 22oz bottle, thankfully I'm in no rush to do much else this sunny, warm afternoon.

Imperial IPA, meet my Imperial pint glass

I'm a big fan of Colorado brews, yet I've never really added many Avery beers to my rotation.  Well, that changes as of today - can't wait to check out some of their other offerings.  This beer is part of Avery's Dictator Series, which is an exploration of beers using traditional methods.  In addition to the the Maharaja, there's the Kaiser and the Czar.  I eagerly await the Kim Jong-il version, because he was all sorts of batshit crazy, and who doesn't love that?

Thing to Think About Today:
It's nice out, I'm drinking, the dogs are snoozing in their dog bed on the deck.  It's Saturday!  If you didn't know that yet, I'll go ahead and let Ludacris tell you more about it in this (unfortunately) safe for work version of Saturday.  No one better to spend a sunny day drinking with than Luda!


"How you gonna act like I don't push 'Lacs?  Black Eldorado, fifth wheel on baaaaack."

No comments:

Post a Comment