Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cool it Now, You're Gonna Fall In Love (With this Beer!)

Beer #124 Good Golden Harbor / Leelanau Brewing Company, Leland, Michigan

I have been surprised by something and I've learned something this week.  I'll start with what I've learned - the Boilermaker Bar is now officially open.  Technically, they've been open for about two or three weeks, but just had their grand opening last night.  Really interesting domestic craft beer list, and a really relaxed yet sophisticated vibe inside.  This bar is owned by the same people who run Farmers' Cabinet, another favorite beer bar of ours.  Went to this new spot on Marci's birthday, and I'm sure we'll be there again soon.  If you're in the 11th & Walnut area of Philly, definitely stop by and drink some beers.

I mentioned a surprise as well.  I've been surprised by a brewery flying under the radar that has managed to blow me away with an amazing beer.  Previously, Anchorage Brewing Company came from seemingly nowhere to produce one of the better beers I've had in ages, and now Leelanau Brewing has managed to completely astound me with their beer. This Biere de Garde is aged in oak and pours a pale golden color, and you pick up the scent of bread and fruit, but most notably you get a pleasant sour aroma.  The taste is magnificent.  A heady and funky mix of tart, sour, and citrus flavors with a touch of bitter hops.  The oak doesn't overpower you, but instead lends a mellow earthy flavor around the edges.  This beer is a mortal lock to finish the year in the Top 25, and I can't wait to get back to the Boilermaker to open up another bottle.  If I'm not mistaken, the third Michigan beer/brewery to make my top list so far.  Marci also sampled this beer from this brewery, so check that out (plus slutty prom dresses!) here.

Thing to Think About Today:
In the spirit of things that are new, such as Boilermaker and Leelanau, and because my post on Bell Biv DeVoe managed to get some mild attention on Facebook (three people commented - I was one of them), let's take some time and think about New Edition.  Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Ralph, and Johnny too!


Best of luck to the Farmers' Cabinet gang on their new edition.  See what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment