Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Beer 131: Thirsty Dogs and Ceramic Dogs



Today’s productivity was brought to us by a free cupcake and high-test coffee.  In exactly one week, the hardest part of my year will be behind me.  It makes me happy and sad -- mostly happy.  You know what else makes me happy?  That ceramic dachshund sitting on my desk.  We talk.  He has opinions. Especially about my obsessive list writing.  Whatevs.

***

Last night TJ’s in Paoli saved my beer drinking butt with a new-to-me brewery:  Thirsty Dog out of Akron, Ohio.  I tried the Siberian Night Imperial Stout - the granddaddy of imperial stouts per their website.  All their beers have fun dog-related names but I couldn’t find a backstory on why.  But anything related to dogs is good for me so off we go.

This imperial stout poured pitch black with a full cocoa color head that fizzled away.  It was everything I’d want in an imperial stout -- coffee, roasted malts, some caramel.  It also came with just a hint of smokiness.  Quite honestly, it was perfect for the rainy night.  I did find it to be heavier than a lot of the other stouts I’ve had recently.  It had a full, creamy feeling in my mouth (go ahead, laugh).  Does it make it into my top 25, no. But I bet it could be in the top 50.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment