Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Take All the Damm Pictures You Want

Beer #129 Estrella Damm / Damm S.A., Barcelona, Spain

It's late, you don't really care what I have to say about things, and I'm tired.  But not too tired to read out on today's beer/brewery.  I'm drinking an Estrella Damm, from Damm S.A., a brewery in Spain.  It pours a clear pale gold in the glass with a wispy white head.  It gives off aromas of grain and grass, and has a clean, somewhat sweet but uncomplicated flavor.  It tastes like beer, which I guess a good thing when drinking a pilsner.  Grains, barley.  Really, I wish I had more for you, but this beer is what it is.  If you're looking for something other than a Miller Lite, grab an Estrella Damm.

Okay, pause for a Damm second.  I can't talk about the Damm beer any longer without referencing this amazing scene from National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation:


This brewery dates back to 1872, when August Kuentzman Damm emigrated to Spain and started brewing beer.  If you didn't know, estrella translates to star.  Another interesting fact about this brewery is they've partnered with Ferran Adrià, the head chef at El Bulli, to collaborate on a special brew.  This is a big deal, as El Bulli is universally regarded as one of the (if not THE) best restaurants in the world.

Thing to Think About Today:
I've already got you thinking about some classic 80's movies (and no, Vegas Vacation isn't one, but the first two Vacation movies are legendary).  So I'll change course completely and get you thinking about the other thing going through my head when I think about this beer (besides the dam tour).  Onyx.  Onyx?  Yes, those angry early 90's rappers and their quasi-hit song, Slam.  Rhymes with Damm?  Don't act like you don't remember this one....


DAMM!  (doo doo do, doo doo do)

Now, are there any dam questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment