Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Beer 116: Grass Roots Brewing and the Eve of Awesomeness

Tomorrow I am orchestrating amazing things.  Like AMAZING things.  Much more to come on that topic, but most likely it’ll be through Facebook or Twitter.  If you don’t follow me, tomorrow may be a good time to start!  (Is this a humble brag?  I never know about those.  Nine times out of ten, I don’t get it.)

On to the important stuff for today…

A Wachu Saison by Grass Roots Brewing. (Sorry no website for this brewery. You get beeradvocate.com unless someone links me to the actual brewery.)  This saison is brewed with spices (Not you, coriander! You evil minx!) and brett.  I won’t lie -- the temptation of a beer brewed with brettanomyces is probably one of the top reasons why Gary picked it up.  And we all know, brettanomyces = delicious in my book. 

It poured a cloudy apricot with a fluffy head.  The bouquet was redolent of brett.  Nice.  I expected lots of sourness, but it wasn’t there.  Instead I got hoppy dryness, some sweetness I suppose from the yuzu fruit.  /scratches head


It’s described as an Asian Farmhouse Ale.  Long grain red rice is added to the mash, Szechuan peppercorns are added to the boil, and it’s fermented on yuzu fruit.  It’s a unique flavor - not quite saison but I don’t know how else to characterize it.  If I came across it again, I would definitely buy it.

I couldn’t find much on Grass Roots Brewing, but I’m thinking they may be gypsy brewers because a ton of partnerships popped up during my search.  The Wachu Saison is a partnership with Tired Hands Brewing Company, which is just about ready to open up operations about seven miles away from my house.  Awesome.  

p.s.  Late breaking update!  Grass Roots Brewing is out of business.  Evidently it was a subsidiary of Hill Farmstead Brewery operating as a client brewer at Fano Bryghus, Denmark.  I'm calling this a legit review since it involves three different breweries of which I reviewed one previously.  Let's call Fano out of the running just to be on the safe side.  It looks like this particular bottle has a best by date of July 25, 2012.  Or they brewed it in the future and sent it to me as a gift from the future for my upcoming birthday.

p.p.s. I love rules.



And on that note, I’m going to enjoy the rest of this beer and start playing my theme song for the next 24 hours.  Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment